Friday, October 29, 2010

He's My Genius

Last school year, Manuel scored the highest CST scores for his 2nd grade class.  His reward came this year: a trip to John's Incredible Pizza in a limousine. The other 3 highest scoring students came as well.


Here's the limousine. It was a Cadillac stretch, shiny, chrome filled, gorgeous hunk of metal.  I seriously got a huge lump in my throat as I saw it driving up. Really. Truly.



It was all he spoke about for the week.

He came flying off the bus with the invitation in his sweaty hands dying to open it. As soon as he saw me he came to a stop and shouted, "I'm going on the limo to John's Incredible Pizza!" The invitation was torn into and read. Then re-read to make sure everyone around him had heard. I smiled and congratulated him. Tried to give him a kiss but his friends were around so he shot me a "later at home I'll let you smother me in kisses and hugs just not now cuz my friends are here" look.

I made him his favorite dinner: deep fried tacos with all the trimmings, Spanish rice, and Coke. All week he waited and talked about it and waited and talked about it some more and waited and told everyone who would listen all about the limo and pizza thing. I made sure to point out it was because of his test scores. What? I'm a proud momma.

His school really went all out to send them off in style. All the students from grades 2 through 6 came to rally them. I had no idea. As Manuel pointed out to his g-ma Bell, "Alyssa never went on the limo trip grandma," I didn't know what to expect for him. It was grand. It was beautiful. It was amazing. It was simply a moment in time that he will remember. Forever. I cried. Very quietly. Didn't embarrass him though. That's why I wear sunglasses.



Manuel, I am so proud of you. You are an amazing little boy who is becoming an amazing young man.

May God continue to bless you with these wonderful rewards for all of your hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment